Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Mini HK Foodie Enclave in Vancouver

Lobster bisque cappuccino was delish

I discovered a Hong Kong alumnae group in the wilds of East Vancouver today.

A friend who is studying hospitality and restaurant business management at La Salle Vancouver asked me to come dine at the Bistro, the student-run restaurant on campus.

Very tender duck breast as the main course
It's a small restaurant, but cosy, and I had a view of the kitchen where my friend prepared food.

She and her fellow students had to come up with a culinary concept, the menu and pricing. They designed a three-course menu for C$25, and an extra C$3 for a non-alcoholic drink.

When I walked in the door, a red head woman warmly greeted me and showed me to a table. We got to chatting and when she said she worked in Hong Kong for a long time, including a restaurant I knew, I realised I remembered her!

What a small world! She left Hong Kong in 2018 and was looking for a place to settle. She decided to be in a city where there were lots of Asian people and so it was Vancouver. 

Lunch was fantastic -- a citrusy refreshing drink, followed by lobster bisque cappuccino, served in a cup with a bit of froth on top and underneath the bisque had a lot of flavour, served hot and had perfectly cooked chunks of lobster in it.

Decadent chocolate pavlova and raspberry sorbet
Soon after the main course arrived, featuring two pieces of duck breast that were very tender, with an assortment of grilled vegetables, like Brussel sprouts, half a shallot, potato and segmented oranges in an orange sauce, and a squash puree. 

Finally for dessert, a first for me -- chocolate pavlova with a scoop of raspberry sorbet and strawberry, blueberry and raspberry. 

Afterwards the red head invited me into the kitchen to see my friend and she introduced me to her culinary instructor who had also worked in Hong Kong!

She had worked at a restaurant in the JW Marriott in Admiralty that I remembered and it was so nice to meet people with these Hong Kong connections!

While La Salle Vancouver is a bit far to drive to, it isn't when you're meeting like-minded people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrumptious Baked Goods at YVR

Delectable baked goods from Pure Bread at YVR The other day I discovered a pretty good bakery -- at Vancouver International Airport no less....