Monday, February 19, 2024

Messi's Explanation Fails to Sway Fans

Messi's video failed to change opinions

This morning my social media feed had a video of Argentine football star Lionel Messi trying to explain what happened in Hong Kong in his own words.

In the two-minute grainy video posted on Weibo, Messi explained in Spanish with English and Chinese subtitles he had an inflamed adductor [groin] muscle that prevented him from playing, and added that he did take part in a training session before the match.

HKers still bitter about his lack of enthusiasm
"I tried to train and made an effort for all those who'd come to watch training," he said. "I did all I could. I also went along to the football clinic with all the kids. But I really couldn't play. I felt discomfort and there was a risk it'd get worse."

But then a few days later he felt well enough to play in Japan, and Messi claimed there was no politics involved in the decision.

Finally he went on to express his affection for China and hoped to see his fans there again.

"Since the start of my career, I've had a very close and special relationship with China. I've done a lot of things in China -- interviews, games and events," he said.

"As always, I send good wishes to everyone in China who I've always had and continue to have special affection for. I hope to see you again soon. A big hug and take care. Ciao!"

The video message did not placate anyone.

Some commenters observed Messi didn't even apologise, and reiterated he could have done more interaction with the fans if he wasn't able to play on the pitch.

Messi has been shut out of games in China
Hongkongers were particularly irked the video was on Weibo, making it aimed towards a mainland Chinese audience. Did he not care about his Hong Kong fans... or are they just chopped liver?

Regardless, the damage is done. He and the Argentine national squad were scheduled to tour China March 18-26, but on February 10 the Beijing Football Association said it had "no plans at the moment to host any matches involving Messi".

Game over.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrumptious Baked Goods at YVR

Delectable baked goods from Pure Bread at YVR The other day I discovered a pretty good bakery -- at Vancouver International Airport no less....