Saturday, August 1, 2026

Hong Kong's Coleman Wong Cracks Top 100 Tennis Rankings

Coleman now ranked No. 90 in the world


Coleman Wong Chak-lam made history today, becoming the first Hong Kong tennis player to break into the world's top 100 after he advanced to the semifinals of an ATP 250 event.

The 22-year-old became ranked No. 90 after he defeated American Jenson Brooksby 6-1, 7-5 in Los Cabos, Mexico.

He defeated Brooksby on Friday
"I was trying to mix up something and then trying to make him to be the one who was uncomfortable. I am really happy with my performance," Wong said.

Earlier in the week Wong pulled off a major upset defeating world No. 12 Jiri Lehecka 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the previous round.

"I [will] just keep trying to be myself, be the best version of myself and just try to enjoy the tour," Wong said. 

"To be honest, before from Hong Kong, there wasn't anyone that reached this level, so I am really happy and really glad that I can be the one."

Wong will meet France's Arthur Gea, ranked No. 127 tomorrow night 7.30pm PST.

It's so refreshing to see Wong moving up the ranks, playing like he has nothing to lose. He takes in each win with gratefulness, thanking his fans on the court and back in Hong Kong. 

He's scrappy and determined, which makes him all the more endearing.

"For sure you doubt yourself a lot, but it's how you overcome it," Wong told ATP in May. 

"I think everyone, even the best in the world, have a lot of things going on and it's the way you accept it and live with it. Trying to perform as much as you can. That's how you become the best and I'm still trying to learn from all the best players in the world."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong's Coleman Wong Cracks Top 100 Tennis Rankings

Coleman now ranked No. 90 in the world Coleman Wong Chak-lam made history today, becoming the first Hong Kong tennis player to break into th...