Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Pure Fitness Behind on Rent Payments

Pure Fitness is behind on rent in the location I worked out at

When I lived in Hong Kong I used to be a member of a gym at the ICBC Building in Central. It was not the most convenient location, but I was motivated to go because it was the only gym in the city that had a pool. It was a small, 20m pool, but better than public ones that were extremely crowded with people having varying swimming abilities.

At least here the water was pretty clean, and fewer people in general. I also met some nice people there.

The small but nice pool in Central
The gym changed hands while I was there, and became Pure Fitness, raising the membership prices for us existing members. 

But the start of the Covid-19 pandemic led to numerous infections in the gym because not enough precautions were taken and eventually gyms were closed for months on end. In that period I began walking along the harbourfront about 10K every night and even further on the weekends, though I did miss swimming a lot.

When the gym finally reopened, I only went to swim a few more times because I was leaving Hong Kong.

A friend told me today that Pure Fitness was slapped with a lawsuit from the landlord of the ICBC building location for allegedly not paying the full rent amount for a few months, about HK$13.6 million.

It also doesn't help that lots of foreign companies have left Hong Kong, along with them their employees, many of who were expats who joined Pure Fitness. The pandemic also resulted in people finding alternative ways to get fit without having to pay expensive membership fees...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Will a Cooking Competition Bring Back Diners?

The restaurant sector is holding a culinary competition With fewer visitors coming in and locals going across the border or overseas on shor...