Sunday, August 25, 2024

Picture of the Day: Slugs Surfacing


Moving ever so slowly along the ground...

The last few days have been overcast with showers and last night lots of rain, which is a relief to trees and gardens that are severely parched this summer.

Yesterday I went for a walk in Pacific Spirit Park and like the previous two days I encountered many slugs!

They make their way across the trails at a glacial pace, as people pass them by while walking, running or cycling.

Spotted a green one too!
I had to look up online why I was seeing so many slugs and came across this answer:

"Both snails and slugs rely on moisture to survive. Their bodies dry out quickly when they are active without moisture to support them. 

"This is why they only become active when it rains or when you've recently watered your garden. In addition, most slugs are typically active at night because it's cooler and more humid (plus there are fewer predators to hunt them)."

It's interesting I haven't come across this many slugs before in the forest!

While I was walking, a family crossed paths with me, and the mother said her daughter wanted me to watch out for a slug up ahead! Kids really do care about nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will a Cooking Competition Bring Back Diners?

The restaurant sector is holding a culinary competition With fewer visitors coming in and locals going across the border or overseas on shor...