Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Hong Kong's Triple Medal Haul


Cheung is the third man to win gold in men's foil back-to-back


It's only Day 3 of the Paris 2024 Olympics and Hong Kong has done extremely well with two golds and one bronze already.

World number one fencer Vivian Kong Man-wai won the first gold on the first day of the Summer Games in the individual epee and those Hongkongers who stayed up in the wee hours to witness her victory were thrilled to bits.

"I'm really thankful, I'm really grateful," Kong, 30, said. "I'm just so lucky... in fencing anything can happen, and I love all the girls here, and I just can't believe it's me."

Fencer Kong celebrates her first gold in epee
Last time in 2021 during the Tokyo Games, Kong reached the quarterfinals, the first woman fencer from Hong Kong to do so.

This is her third Olympics and Kong beat a French competitor for gold.

"I lost a bit of focus [in the final] from the start and was distracted a bit thinking the home crowd would be really disappointed if I win," Kong said. "It's a dream for me to play at the Grand Palais and I am grateful for the presence of all the fans, even if they might not want me to win.

"There were no spectators in Tokyo after all, and I am touched when the volunteers, knowing that I am playing their home fencer, would still greet and cheer for me beforehand."

Today swimming sensation Siobhan Haughey also excited Hongkongers with a bronze medal in the 200m freestyle, with Australia taking gold and silver. This is Haughey's third Olympic medal, the first Hongkonger to have this many medals.

And she rallied her teammates to keep going.

Swimmer Haughey with her bronze medal today
"Hong Kong is doing really well at these Olympics and this is just the beginning," Haughey said. "We have a long Olympics journey and I am sure other Hong Kong athletes will do well. A lot of us are in top finals or around the top four fighting for medals. I hope we keep the momentum going."

Indeed soon after fencer Cheung Ka-long successfully defended his gold medal in Tokyo with another gold in men's foil. He is the third man to win back-to-back gold medals in men's foil, the last athlete to do this was in 1956.

Cheung says he won the medal for his dad, who was in the stands watching.

"I'm very happy that my dad came to see me and I could give him a birthday present -- his birthday is in July," he said. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture of the Day: Christmas at Costco

A Snoopy Christmas, anyone? It's available at Costco! We went to Costco today and there were lots of Halloween candy in bulk and costume...