Sunday, November 19, 2023

Review: A Taste of Middle Eastern Cuisines

A platter of various dishes to sample for lunch at East is East

The other day I met up with friends I hadn't seen for a while for some lunch at a restaurant I had been curious about. It's called East is East and offers cuisines along the Silk Road -- around the Middle East.

For CA$25, we had the "Silk Route Feast Tasting Menu", where each person can choose a soup, salad and two mains that come with small pieces of naan and boulani breads, along with a bowl of Afghan and basmati rice.

When it arrived, it was a platter filled with small bowls that were a great way to sample various dishes and you can keep ordering until you're full.

I had the Persian salad that had chopped cucumbers, tomatoes and onions with a cilantro lemon olive oil dressing that was quite refreshing, along with the dahl soup, featuring three types of lentils, cauliflower, spinach, herbs and spices.

For mains I chose mango butternut squash that was cooked with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise and bay leaves, and the Persian braised lamb with spinach and pinto beans.

Each of the dishes were so flavourful, hardly spicy, and just the right portion size to try them out.

On my second round, I had Afghan eggplant casserole with roasted peppers, herbs, tomatoes and garlic, and alu gobi, or cauliflower and potato in a tangy tomato tamarind sauce.

After we finished these dishes, we were just about full and each had a cup of masala chai made with soy milk and green tea.

I'm amazed I didn't have trouble sleeping that night with the caffeine! 

My friend explained the East is East location on West Broadway is the original location, and this one on Main Street is the second one.

4433 Main Street
Vancouver
604 565 4401


No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrumptious Baked Goods at YVR

Delectable baked goods from Pure Bread at YVR The other day I discovered a pretty good bakery -- at Vancouver International Airport no less....