Monday, June 19, 2023

Okanagan: Haynes Point Provincial Park


The stillness of Osoyoos Lake resulted in stunning reflections

Today I continued my exploration around Osoyoos Lake by going the opposite direction, a more scenic route.

The weather was not as windy as yesterday, and this time I brought a hat with me to spare my head and face from the sun's rays.

The view from the north side of the lake
I walked across the Osoyoos Kettle Bridge and then turned left at Kingfisher Drive. After walking past a residential area there was a small beach area called Legion Beach Park. Even though it was almost 11am there was no one there, but then again it was Monday. 

After taking a few pictures, I continued on my way, walking up the hill on Oleander Drive where the road is not near the waterfront -- those areas were taken up by homes with a "lake view".

Before Oleander Drive ended, I then walked along Jasmine Drive and then left onto 32 Avenue where there was a small plot of land where grapes were being grown, but no indication of which winery... or perhaps it was a farmer growing them to sell to wineries later.

Right by this fenced off plot of land is Haynes Point Provincial Park. It looks like residents in the area like to walk there for exercise, while many visitors like myself ventured in to take a look. It's a long thin strip of land that had stunning views of the lake and I couldn't stop taking pictures every few metres. I spotted two mallard ducks resting nearby (and took no notice of me), and a mother duck taking her ducklings for a swim.

The end tip of Haynes Point Provincial Park
Near the entrance are parking spots for those intending to spend the day there, while those who are camping for a maximum of seven days can reserve their own camping area bordered by bushes, and have their own uninterrupted view of the lake. 

Each spot had a wooden marker in front and if there was a piece of paper tacked on it, then it was reserved and paid for by someone, or otherwise it was already occupied with campers or tents along with their vehicles.

The campers who were there sat in their chairs and took in the view -- while it's gorgeous, I couldn't sit there all day, which probably makes me a terrible camper! There are also no showers or bathrooms, so again not my cup of tea!

After making a loop around the park I walked back to the hotel, tired but really glad I made the trek. After finishing some lunch I had a long nap!

Two mallard ducks enjoying the view too!
Haynes Point Provincial Park
32 Avenue
Osoyoos, BC
(778) 437 2295





No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Hong Kong Souvenir

My embroidered souvenir from Hong Kong  Miru Wong gets her entrepreneurial genes from her grandparents. Now in her early 30s, she is the thi...