Sunday, January 29, 2023

Picture of the Day: Savoury Pies


Tourtiere on the left, chicken pot pie on the right


A friend visiting from Hong Kong said he needed to get a pie from West Vancouver. Really? All the way there? Now I know why.

We went to Savary Island Pie Company on Marine Drive, which entails crossing the Lion's Gate Bridge to the north shore, turn left onto Marine Drive. The shop is quite small and has some tables for customers to dine in.

But we had already filled up eating our share of Persian food that I blogged about before, so my friend wanted to get some takeaway pies. I was intrigued and wanted to try some too.

Check out this slice of the tourtiere!
In the freezer there were savoury and sweet pies, but I got the small chicken pot pie and tourtiere pie. The latter is a well-known French-Canadian pie that is usually eaten around Christmas time.

I remember a friend, the late chef and food columnist Nathan Fong would spend weeks before Christmas making these tourtiere pies for friends, but I never had a chance to try his.

A few days after we heated up both small pies (good enough to share) and they were delicious! The chicken pot pie was stuffed with chunks of chicken, peas and carrots, celery and onions. 

The tourtiere pie features minced beef and pork, potatoes, pepper, all spice, cinnamon and cloves as well as garlic, onions and orange juice!

What we liked most about both pies was the crust -- it was so flaky and yet held up to the filling and we could tell it had a lot of butter in it!

I don't venture much to the north shore often, so I am pining for the next opportunity to try pies from Savary Island Pie Company again... better yet hope they can open in Vancouver one day!

1533 Marine Drive
West Vancouver
604 926 4021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Hong Kong Souvenir

My embroidered souvenir from Hong Kong  Miru Wong gets her entrepreneurial genes from her grandparents. Now in her early 30s, she is the thi...