Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Review: Cafe Kitsune

The numerous layers of pastry looked delicious, but not really

A friend visiting from Singapore remarked how dogs in Vancouver looked much cuter than back home.

It was a strange observation, but I have to say dogs here are definitely fit, their owners for the most part like to exercise too, wearing the Lululemon outfits and walking or running along the streets or trails.

She said this while we walked to Gastown to find a cool cafe. As we walked along Water Street near the Gastown Steam Clock, a homeless guy walked towards us and I was very aware of his presence. He hesitated for a second and then came up close to me and pretended to air kiss me.

Matcha lemonade, matcha tea (back)
My friend and I were both shocked -- I was too surprised to say anything, though I could tell he hesitated wondering if he should do something or not. It was broad daylight so I was not worried, but it was really bizarre.

We tried to find Nelson the Seagull, a cafe her friend had suggested, but by the time we arrived before 5pm, it was closed!

So we headed to Cafe Kitsune, a famous cafe in France that has a fox as its logo. The one in Gastown is attached to a boutique selling Kitsune-branded clothing which is super expensive. A sweatshirt with an embroidered fox logo is over CAD$300...

We stuck to consuming drinks and food in the cafe instead. I ordered a matcha lemonade, my friend a matcha tea, and we shared a pain au chocolat.

The pastry looked gorgeous with its numerous layers, but when I cut into it, there was no crunch and flakiness. My friend thought it had been microwaved, but I assumed it had been sitting in the cafe all day. 

So the taste of the pain au chocolat was underwhelming, but I enjoyed my drink, with top notes of green tea, and a lemony finish.

Seating is sparse, but if you can score the two seats by the front window, it's the perfect private nook for chatting and people-watching.

157 Water Street 
Vancouver, BC
236 477 4777


No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Hong Kong Souvenir

My embroidered souvenir from Hong Kong  Miru Wong gets her entrepreneurial genes from her grandparents. Now in her early 30s, she is the thi...