![]() |
| Wu thanks supporters in this video |
Good news about former Hong Kong lawmaker and opposition leader Wu Chi-wai -- he is allowed to stay in the UK for six months.
Since being allowed into the UK last Wednesday, Wu was concerned that he would only be able to stay for seven days until this Wednesday and be deported back to Hong Kong.
However, it was confirmed by his lawyer, Paul Harris, that the immigration authorities had sent a letter to them of Wu granted stay as a visitor for half a year.
At the time the Associated Press reported this, Wu, 63, did not comment.
He later sent a video via UK-based outlet Green Bean Media, thanking Hongkongers for their concern and support.
"I know that, throughout this event, many Hong Kong people and friends everywhere have been working tirelessly during this period, speaking out for me and voicing opinions through various channels and methods.
"With everyone's assistance, today -- on the afternoon of July 27, 2026 -- I finally received a document issued by the UK Border Force officially approving my entry and granting me a standard stay of six months," he said in Cantonese.
Wu added although he was happy with this end result, he said his experience "failed to assauge Hongkongers' concerns regarding entering and exiting the UK," noting his arrangement was discretionary treatment, and not standard procedure.
"The government has made it very clear that this case itself does not constitute any precedent. The entry procedures still require further clarification to avoid causing distress to Hongkongers," he said.
"Once again, thank you to all the friends who care for myself and for Hongkongers. I have been separated from my family for five and a half years, and I long to reunite with them and live a peaceful life. I also hope that all Hong Kong people can live well and cherish their loved ones. Thank you, everyone."

No comments:
Post a Comment