Sunday, September 1, 2024

Taste of Hong Kong at Cha Kee

Pineapple bun with iced milk tea from Cha Kee

Many people recommended I check out a cha chaan teng called Cha Kee in Richmond, so I finally did -- twice.

Opened in December 2022, it's tucked away in the corner of the first floor of a shopping mall called President Plaza, across from Aberdeen Centre in Richmond. 

Buttery scrambled egg sandwich
It seems just about everyone sitting in the food court are eating dishes like scrambled eggs with white bread toast, satay beef with instant noodles, and sipping cups of milk tea.

Other dishes include pork chop rice noodle, French toast, BBQ pork spaghetti, Hong Kong style Swiss sauce chicken wings, and curry fish balls. 

The first time I went, I had just eaten breakfast so I tried an iced milk tea and the pineapple bun. Each person gets a circular vibrating pager, even me with a simple order.

My pineapple bun arrived warm with a tall glass of iced milk tea. The pineapple bun was fluffy, with a crumbly cookie top, and was delicious, washed down with a very caffeinated milk tea. I was buzzing for pretty much the rest of the day.

I went again the other day with a friend where we were able to try more items. She had a bowl of macaroni with uneven slices of pork liver, which came with a side of scrambled eggs and white toast that she washed down with a cup of hot milk tea.

She invited me to have a few bites of the pork liver and I heartily tried some. Liver is an acquired taste and here it wasn't seasoned, but just kind of boiled in the thinly-laced chicken soup with a lot of macaroni. 

Meanwhile another friend had recommended the scrambled egg sandwich and I did not come away disappointed. In between two slices of toasted white bread slathered with a generous amount of butter was a big portion of scrambled eggs that were pillowy soft.

Slices of liver in macaroni soup
I can easily see how biting into this sandwich is the edible version of a big hug for people missing Hong Kong diner food in Vancouver.  

After finishing the scrambled egg sandwich I was actually quite full, even though I only had a small cup of iced milk tea. Food courts are where cheap and cheerful food is at!

Cha Kee
8181 Cambie Road
Richmond

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anticipating More Visitors to HK for October 1

Hong Kong may get more tourists for the October 1 holiday A tourism executive believes Hong Kong could benefit from the upcoming October 1 h...