Monday, March 13, 2023

Queen of the Oscars

Yeoh radiating movie royalty with her Academy Award

Tonight belonged to Michelle Yeoh, who became the first Asian to win the Best Actress Oscar at the Academy Awards.

It was pretty much expected the star of Everything Everywhere All At Once would win, it was her year. And as the cast and directors have explained to the media, the multiverse film about an immigrant family allowed Yeoh and her fellow actors to stretch their acting abilities to do action, sci-fi, romance, drama and comedy.

Wearing lots of bling in her hair and finger, Yeoh was majestic in her white feathery dress as she accepted the award.

Yeoh in Everything Everywhere All At Once
And her speech connected to many people:

"For all the little boys and girls who look like me watching tonight, this is a beacon of hope and possibilities. This is proof -- dream big -- and dreams do come true," she said, taking a deep breath. 

"And ladies, don't let anybody tell you you are ever past your prime. Never give up."

Yeoh dedicated her Oscar to her mother, Janet as well as all the moms in the world "because they are really the superheroes. And without them, none of us would be here tonight. She's 84, and I'm taking this home to her. She's watching this right now in Malaysia, KL [Kuala Lumpur] with family and friends. I love you guys. I'm bringing this home to you."

It was lovely to hear her thank Hong Kong, where she her movie career took off, which led her to Hollywood.

"And also to my extended family in Hong Kong, where I started my career. Thank you for letting me stand on your shoulders, giving me a leg up so that I can be here today."

Quan tearing up during his acceptance speech
Her co-star Ke Huy Quan also won big with an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. 

"My mom is 84 years old and she's at home watching. Mom, I just won an Oscar! My journey started on a boat. I spent a year in a refugee camp. And somehow I ended up here on Hollywood's biggest stage. They say stories like these only happen in the movies. I cannot believe it's happening to me. This -- this is the American dream."

Quan is referring to his family who fled Vietnam in 1978 and lived in a refugee camp in Hong Kong before they made their way to the United States.

Throughout this whole promotion of the film and successive awards event, Quan has been so humble, so endearing and so heartfelt and so real that you can't help but love his honesty.

Yeoh has talked about how the EEAAO cast and crew gathered everyday together and became a family, respecting and loving each other. This is why they are so tight and celebrate each win together..

It's been amazing to watch Asian actors finally get their due, with much more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Singapore Souvenir: Pandan Chiffon Cake

Singapore souvenir: pandan chiffon cake Singapore Changi Airport is one giant shopping mall. Well, the entire city is, with pockets of hawke...